Tips and Tricks
This page lists tips and tricks for playing the game that you may find useful. If you wish to submit a tip, please email it to us and we'll put it up with your name. Any unattributed tips are from the designers.
For card specific tips, please see the card pages.
- The early game is just as important as the later stages. In the first two turns you want to ensure that you have the rations production for turn three to start recruiting more expensive cards. In particular:
- Don't buy combat only cards early (Run Out the Guns, Bribery, Man the Walls etc.) as this will slow you down on turns when you draw them, but do not attack. Even a Swabber is better than Run Out the Guns if you're not attacking.
- Putting conscripts and swabbers in your hold doesn't help you win the game directly, but does increase the likelihood that you will draw better pirates as your deck will be smaller. Unless you have a strong combat strategy, getting rid of conscripts first will help you buy more expensive cards earlier as you'll have more rations to use every turn.
- A balanced strategy is normally the strongest. Taking control of locations and putting a few cards in your hold is easier than winning with one method alone.
- Using Open Seas in a four player game will radically change the way the game plays out, as controlling 4 out of 8 locations is very difficult to accomplish. This can be interesting, but should be avoided by inexperienced players